Tokyo — TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) today announced the nationwide launch in Japan, via "Netz" dealers, of the new RAV4, which is a completely redesigned version of the Toyota RAV4 J and RAV4 L that have been sold, respectively, through "Netz" and "Toyota Corolla" dealers in Japan.
November 14, 2005
|Toyota Launches New RAV4 in Japan
|RAV4 G Grade (four-wheel-drive version, with options)
The RAV4 J and RAV4 L, launched in 1994 as small SUVs that were enjoyable to both look at and ride in, pioneered a new genre by being the first SUVs to provide the feel of a passenger vehicle. With the launch of the second-generation vehicle in 2000, they evolved into high-performance, urban SUVs that became global models.
The new, third-generation model, developed to be a leader among SUVs for people with active lifestyles who enjoy their freedom, features refined styling that suits the urban environment while also providing maneuverability for the great outdoors. This new SUV makes driving comfortable anywhere—on-road or off-road—allowing users to actively move about as they please.
The new RAV4 adopts a newly developed platform and incorporates a newly developed engine, transmission and suspension, along with newly developed brakes and other systems, in pursuit of basic performance that enables brisk and comfortable "moving", "turning" and "stopping", while achieving the world's highest level of safety and environmental performance in its class*1. Its interior and exterior designs combine refined taste and a statement of strength, while its easy-to-use, high-quality, interior space is roomy and comfortable. The new RAV4 is meant to meet not only the needs of SUV users, but also those of sedan and minivan drivers as well.
*Compared to vehicles of similar engine displacement
||"Netz" dealers nationwide in Japan
|Monthly sales targets
|Dealer launch events
||November 19 to 20, 2005
Tahara Plant, Toyota Motor Corporation
|Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices
||(Prices in Hokkaido and Okinawa differ; unit = yen)
*Prices listed do not include recycling fees
(including consumption tax)
(Seven-speed Sequential Shiftmatic)
|Vehicle Dimensions (X Grade and G Grade)
NOTE: Figures in brackets indicate the change from the previous RAV4 J X Grade (five-door, four-wheel-drive)
||Minimum turning radius
||1,560mm (front: +55mm/rear: +65mm)
Interior and Exterior Designs Combine Refined Taste with Strength
- The wedge-shaped underbody and arc-shaped cabin silhouette express a modern sensibility, while the structure around the dynamically projecting wheel arches creates a sense of unity with the body, to generate a lively and refined but rugged appearance.
- The front view, based on a good stance and stable form, adopts the distinctive trapezoid grill that is part of the Toyota SUV identity, and uses a large structure that incorporates the bumper. The grill features a bar-type mesh pattern to express the strength and youthfulness that is characteristic of the RAV4.
- At the rear, the spare tire cover blends into the back door, creating a modern feel.
- The instrument panel and door trim eliminate all excess, expressing an open and relaxing interior space.
- The two-tiered instrument panel emphasizes the expansive breadth of the interior, while the horizontal flow from the centered instrument cluster to the console creates a sporty feel, achieving compatibility between roominess and a powerful sporty sensibility.
- Ornamental metal trim with a hairline finish is positioned throughout the interior to create a new sense of "premium".
- The concave, slim seats give the interior a roomy look and the headrests create a compact impression.
Highly Functional, Roomy and Comfortable Interior
- The Smart Entry and Start System employs a Smart Key to lock and unlock the doors and a push button to start the engine—all one needs is to have the vehicle key on one's person.
- The rear seats, equipped with a reclining function, have backrests that fold in a 60/40 split and a "super tilt-down" mechanism that allows both the seat cushions and the backrests to fold down, creating a flat, low-bottom space. The seats can be folded using release levers located on the sides of the rear cargo space; these levers are easily accessible after opening the rear gate.
- By making components below the floor slimmer, and by installing the rear shock absorbers at an angle, the opening to the luggage space has been placed close to the ground and the luggage space made wider, which facilitates the loading and unloading of cargo.
- The interior features three independent, large Optitron Meters with excellent visibility (with a dot-matrix, multi-information display) and fully automatic independent temperature controls (featuring temperature sensors) for the driver's and passenger's side—featuring a pollen-removal mode that filters out pollen, dust and other impurities from the air surrounding the vehicle occupants. Numerous storage spaces are also incorporated.
Basic Performance Provides Brisk and Comfortable "Moving", "Turning" and "Stopping"
- A newly developed platform and high-rigidity body provide brisk and comfortable driving performance.
- An improved and more-powerful 2.4-liter 2AZ-FE gasoline engine and Super CVT-i with a seven-speed Sports Sequential Shiftmatic transmission contribute to higher fuel efficiency and smooth driving.
- A new suspension system design gives the RAV4 brisk maneuvering and cruising stability, as well as a comfortable ride.
- The newly designed, large-diameter brakes not only provide excellent braking performance, but also give a secure sense of firmness.
- An active torque control four-wheel-drive system distributes optimum torque to the front and rear wheels depending on driving status, such as vehicle speed and road surface conditions.
- The active torque control four-wheel-drive system is integrated with S-VSC, which optimally balances driving power, steering and braking, in pursuit of stable driving regardless of road conditions.
World's Top Level of Safety and Environmental Performance in its Class
*Specified by the Law Concerning the Rational Use of Energy
- The new RAV4 adopts an advanced GOA collision-safety body that has been further evolved by incorporating the concept of omni-directional compatibility.
- The pedestrian-injury-lessening body structure has been evolved to further reduce pedestrian head injuries, pursuing the world's top level of protection in its class.
- The seat structures are based on the WIL (Whiplash Injury Lessening) concept and come with stronger seat frames and greater backrest give. They were designed based on analyses using THUMS (Total Human Model for Safety), incorporating a structural design that reduces stress on the neck during low-speed rear impact.
- All vehicles in the series have been certified as having emissions levels 75% lower than 2005 standards under the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport's Approval System for Low-emission Vehicles. Four-wheel-drive vehicles boast of fuel efficiency that is five percent greater than the level called for by Japanese 2010 fuel efficiency standards*, while front-wheel-drive vehicles efficiently meet these fuel efficiency standards, thus qualifying for incentives under the Japanese government’s Green Taxation System.
- Eco-VAS, a unique environmental evaluation system developed by Toyota, has been employed to reduce environmental impact, including CO2 emissions.
- The materials, processing techniques and adhesives used in interior components have been reviewed to limit the volume of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and lessen unpleasant interior odors.